I started running with the high school cross country team on Monday. It was raining, and I didn't mind until the end of our run, when I was soaked through. Everything was soaked; my hat, my hair, my shirt, shorts, even my shoes. I hate having wet shoes, especially now. I may have mentioned that I'm going to Philmont. If I haven't, I'll ketch you up in a second. Anyway, we've had a couple of practice hikes, and on both of them I've had to hike through water that was above my ankle, thus beyond the waterproof Gore-Tex liner. Let me tell you, hiking with wet boots is miserable because they don't drain!
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
I must be turning into a sort of Rain God
So, it rained yesterday, and my shoes got soaked. It decided to rain again this morning; my shoes got just as soaked. I don't really care about having wet shoes any more, at least not wet running shoes. But I do think that the wetness may have something to do with the blisters on my toes. I've never gotten blisters from shoes before.
I think I made a record today! When the other runners and I had finished our run, Lizzy asked how far we had run, and Coach Crowe said just under six miles. I think that the farthest I've ever run before that was just over four miles. I have a...what would you call it?... philosophy?; well, what ever it is, I think that it's easier to run (exercise) and run farther faster when you have other people with you. When I do that, I find that I pace myself better, and push myself a little more too. When I run by myself, I can't go very far.
Back to Philmont!! (well, this is my first time going, but that's not what I mean) Philmont is this Boy Scout ranch in New Mexico. It's near this town, but I can't remember it's name at the moment. I leave next Thursday, a week from two days from now. We are going to ride up on Amtrak, and apparently the train that we are taking has a lot of history. Philmont is at about 8,000 feet, 9,000 in some places. The trek is going to take is about 68 miles over 12 days, and we get to carry packs that weigh about 40 pounds. My hips are gonna be so sore by the end of the day!
--Bow down to Mr. Rain God!
Posted by Carl at 8:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I SHAL BOW DOWN TO THE RAIN GOD not really though...i jynxed it, thats all
ahha. wet shoes are funny. I've turned into a ful time barefooter for the summer, thoguh(or at least 'til school ends) so i won't have to worry about that. XD
I know what you mean with the running better with people, though. It's the same when i walk to school. it's easier with my sister than without her.
I failed today. I ran again, but today was nice and sunny; and also hot and humid. Sweat, sweat, sweat...
Post a Comment