So, to recap the past three or four days, containing the only things of note from the past few weeks. I ran, like I always do after school, I had an amazing Cross Country meet, and I went to a great air show at Scott Air Force Base.
I had the first good, solid week of running in a while, and I felt really good, but I was a little sore by the end of the week, so I had to miss practice on Saturday. I had to miss a lot of practice the previous week because first I was sick, then I had to go to a therapy appointment for my knee. Pretty much, by that Friday, or was it Thursday, I had the crappiest meet ever. I felt like I had nothing in my stomach, and I just couldn't make any more than my worst effort. I came in very, very close to last. So I got some running spikes!
Spikes are nice. They're much lighter and thinner than normal running trainers, and are very toe biased. Also, spikes-as their name would imply-have little spikes in the bottom of the toe, to give the runner better grip on slippery courses.
Which leads into my next topic. My most previous race. It was out at this place called Spanish Lake. It's fairly flat, with one long, slow uphill stretch. The spikes really, really helped, especially on this one part. It had this small, very steep hill, maybe about 10 to 15 feet long. about 8 feet high. When I ran it in the warm up, I was just wearing my trainers, and my feet were slipping a substantial amount on loose dirt and stuff. When I ran it in the race with my spikes on, it was all grip, all the way. Another part, at the beginning of the course, was this really, really steep downhill with a lot of loose gravel on it. I don't know exactly why - the guy in front of me must not have run that part - but when I started down that hill, he wasn't prepared at all, and started trying to slow down, so he was flailing all around, you know, like a cartoon character trying to stop. Towards the bottom, he was starting to kind of annoy me, so I shouted "JUST GO!!!!!," cuz the best thing was just to lean into it and let gravity take me down, and try not to fall over. It was a really goot place to gain some good speed.
--I'm all typed out...

2 comments:
Typed out. Ha. XD
I'm jealous of you, you know that? :P You get out and run. I need to seriously start doing that. And I keep telling myself I WILL but I DON'T.
Anyways, I don't like spikes. I remember I had to have them for soccer. Or maybe those were different. I forget. That was too long ago.
Spikes are different.
Cleats are what you probably had and if you didn't like them, you definitely wouldn't like running spikes.
Post a Comment