I went to this thing with the rest of my team called the Model UN. It's through this company or whatever it is called Civitas. What we got to do today was an introduction to what we're going to be doing in the spring. The people leading the program were telling us about what the UN does and what it has helped with. In the Spring we're going to be writing and passing resolutions, like in the real UN.
In the beginning of the meeting, one of the leader people showed an informational slideshow about what the UN does and how it operates. It told us what we would be doing and how it tied in to the real UN. Then the other leader person told us about the resolutions we were going to pass. He then gave different issues that were happening around the world and had us answer with what we would do. There were about 700 people there, so they called on us by school and one student would answer. It was really interesting to hear what the different people would do about a certain issue. I thought that a lot of the people didn't really answer the questions. A lot of the people were saying very little (like "I plan to try and replenish the water supplies") in a whole lot of words. At the end they provided us with a really cool show. There was this drummer guy and a story teller. The drummer didn't do mush, but the story-teller told us an Anancy (SP?) story! It was about a really big drought and how he found a giving pot that gave him food whenever he wanted and ho he became greedy and gave all the good stuff to himself. When he finnished the Drummer brought up 6 volunteers and had them beat a really cool and simple rythem.
After the conference was over, our teachers took us to McDonalds for lunch. That seemed to be the highlite of the whole trip. I liked the food, because a little McDonalds every so often isn't bad, but I prefer to eat at other places instead. Ine of my friends got TWO Big Macs and a hugo. What was kind of funny was the fact that the Hugo was actually cheaper than a small soda.
--I typed this at school!
(So pardon anything that doesn't make sense)
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Model UN
Posted by Carl at 2:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
lol. posting in school is always fun. makes ya feel dangerous. lol.
hmm. i'd love a chance to speak about some issues where i could actually be heard, although i will admit I'm a little unconnected 'cause i don't read newspapers and i don't have TV. lol.
ewwwwww. McDonalds is NASTY. ick. every time i go inside any fast food restaurant i nearly barf. I used to be able to eat fast food all the time, but i stopped eating it for about two years and i can't do it any more.
I don't eat fast food much, and it does make my stomach feel bad sometimes. The time I ate at Mcdonnalds before wednesday was in July during my Boundary Waters trip.
Post a Comment