My dad took me down to Castlewood State Park yesterday to go ride bikes. We were going to do this ride called Cranksgiving, but entry was $20 per person plus food bought and my dad didn't want to spend that kind of money. Instead, he suggested that we go on our own ride somewhere nearby. I wanted to go to creve couer, but then I remembered that I wanted to go to Castlewood. I thought that it would be like most other trails that I've been on. Most of them are asphalt paved and smooth. Castlewood has mountain trails and I was hardly prepared at all.
I was imagining a ride like I usually have in Forest Park. I got my bike off the rack and looked at the trail and was really surprised to see dirt. The first trail my dad and I went on started out allright, but then it crossed a road and went into this really steep climb. I was really unprepared for the grade and for the surface of the hill. I ended up having to walk my bike up it, which is something we bikers really hate. We finished that part, and then it was ok for a bit. I had a really good crash at one point. I had crossed this bridge and was riding on these embankements on the side of the turn. The trail had a little weave in it after the second banked turn, and as I was turning back the other way, my rear tire slipped on some leaves and I went down. It was really fun. You should try it sometime, just not on purpose. If you do it on purpose, it won't happen right.
After we had finished with that trail, my dad and I were going to do this other one, but it was really advanced. A part of the sign read, "Steep bluffs and sharp, vertical drops." Didn't wast to do THAT! Instead, I went on this fairly smooth trail that was rough and had some ramps. We had to turn back and on the way a train passed by. I want to go back sometime! It's so fun!
Monday, November 24, 2008
Riding Bikes at Castlewood State Park!!!!!!
Posted by Carl at 9:27 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
sweeeet. my brother says AWESOME!!!! and wants to send you his web site, which is...stevvefoxadventures.blogspot.com. ...i haven't actually gone to it yet, but i suppose it's probably pretty cool and i may have to add it to my list o' coolio peoples. :P
but yeah, that sounds like a lot of fun!! I don't usually do a lot of biking and i don't have a good bike, only this uber intensely little one that i got out of a dumpster. lol. it's cool, though. makes mah feel gangsta. just kiddin'.
oops, his blog only has one v. sorry. lol.
I'll check it out.
Oh, I was just looking at it. It's really cool. I'm gonna have to try to read the last few posts sometime, probably wednesday ond/or thursday since I have the days off. I like to understand things, so I'm gonna read a few previous posts.
cool. I don't think that slipping on leaves would be a good idea for me. Especially on a bike. But, hey, it sounds like fun.
Oh, it is.
As soon as I have the time and the thoughts together, I'll be sure to post about what I did over the holiday.
Post a Comment