I'm still alive and kicking! (barely) I just finished a week of fencing and let me tell you, it's more strenuous than you might think. My muscles are still a bit sore, but that might be partially due to the fact that I didn't use my leg muscles much last week. Fencing is a lot of fun, and I would recommend trying it. It's fighting, but not the really violent punch-your-brains-out kind.
There are three kinds of swords you can use for fencing. There is the most basic one, the foil, where the target is the torso and you only touch with the tip. Next is the epee, where the target is the whole body and you touch with the tip. And last is the sabre, where the target is the upper body (waist and up) and you touch with the blade. I personally like the sabre the most because the bouts go a bit quicker and there's more of an opportunity to score a touch. The only drawback is that you have to wear special equipment to fight electronically because unlike in the foil or epee where you have a "button" that senses a touch, you have to have a circuit or something (I don't know).
To clear up any questions about electric fencing, no it's not like you get shocked when someone scores a touch. When you fight electronically with the epee (I don't think that you can fight electric with the foil) there's a wire running from a push-button sensor on the tip to a cable that runs from a plug in the guard, through your jacket, and then through a wire connected to the sensor machine. When a touch is scored the machine beeps and an LED lights up. It's pretty confusing and it's easier to understand after you have actually done it.
So, there's fencing for ya. Thank you and good night.
Oh, by the way!...
I got Breaking Dawn today!!! I'm only on something like page 30 and it's already really good. I promise not to give anything away. I'll say even less about it than Levi until I've been finished with the book for a month or two. maybe even then...
Friday, August 8, 2008
Hey Y'all!
Posted by Carl at 4:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
oooooh. i've wanted to fence for sooo long. My dad had a foil hanging from our ceiling years ago and i've always been pretty curious about it. I think that and knife work would be very practical. and fun.
Ya. I'm really dissapointed that Olympic fencing is never on TV when I'm actually awake.
...I always wanted to do kendo more. Have you ever tried that?
What's kendo?
haha i love fencing. a guy from my church does usa championships for fencing, and hes pretty good.
ive always wanted to try it....
Post a Comment